In our article, we will be covering the Chipotle crew job description, main job duties and responsibilities of this position as well as other important details.
For individuals who are looking for a career in food service, the crew member position at Chipotle Mexican Grill may be a great fit.
With few starting requirements and plenty of openings, it’s an excellent choice for those with limited experience and people who are looking for a flexible schedule.
Chipotle Crew Job Description & Duties: What Does a Chipotle Crew Member Do?
As a member of the Chipotle crew, you will have a direct role in ensuring that customers have a pleasant dining experience each time they visit a Chipotle location.
From basic food preparation to taking customers’ orders, you must be able to change tasks quickly and efficiently to be successful in this position. There are also secondary type duties like ingredients preparation, cleaning, opening and closing the store.
Chipotle Crew Job Description and Responsibilities
Your core job responsibility as a crew member at Chipotle will center around customer satisfaction. Your position will play a key role in making customers happy regardless of what area of the store you are currently working.
In the kitchen, you will be responsible for making sure orders are being prepared correctly and safely. In the front, you will have to make sure that customer orders are recorded correctly and that customers receive the correct change.
The primary job duties of a Chipotle crew member include:
- Accurately taking orders and making the correct change at the register.
- Preparing food and following food safety guidelines at all times.
- Cleaning your workstation as needed during downtimes.
- Following closely the original recipes to ensure the same high-quality food every time.
- Helping put away merchandise and supplies after truck deliveries.
- Working with management to resolve customer issues as they arise.
Chipotle Crew Member Skills and Requirements
When working in fast food as a crew member there are a few advantages, especially for high school students or beginners. In general food companies are not looking for someone with a lot of experience, rather they want an employee that can quickly learn and adapt to every situation.
The minimum requirements to work as a Chipotle Crew member are the following:
- You must be at least 16 years old to work as a Crew Member at Chipotle.
- You have to speak fluently the native language spoken at the home location.
Chipotle as any major brand from the fast-food industry is looking for someone willing to learn how to cook and how to develop their multi-tasking skills.
Here are some of the most important skills you should have to work as a crew member at Chipotle:
- Friendly Personality;
- Team member;
- Enthusiastic attitude;
- Great communication skills
- Versatility: you will have to change working stations pretty often.
Chipotle Crew Member Working Hours
For the most part, Chipotle crew members work part-time only and average 20 to 30 hours each week. Occasionally, full-time openings may become available that work up to 40 hours. In rare instances, overtime may be required to help address shortages in coverage.
Since this is a food-service position, closing shifts may involve working slightly past your established shift. This time can be significantly impacted by large orders being placed right before store closing.
Chipotle Crew Member Work Environment
Working in the food industry means you work in a fast-paced environment. There are always orders to be prepared and served.
As a crew member at Chipotle, you will be working on your feet the entire duration of your shift. You should be comfortable working in a tight space with many other people around you. In addition, you should also be comfortable working in a hot environment where food is being prepared.
This position requires a lot of repetitive motion. You will regularly be stooping and reaching overhand as well. In addition, you should also be able to lift packages that weigh 30 pounds or more during truck deliveries.
You may be interested in Cashier Job Description, Qualifications, and Outlook
Chipotle Crew Member Pay and Benefits
Depending on your previous experience, most Chipotle crew members start anywhere between $9.50 and $10.50 an hour.
This are the main benefits a crew member will receive. Please note that some of them might depend on the specific home location and its regulations.
- For eligible full-time employees, you will receive access to a 401k.
- Health insurance: medical, dental and vision insurance.
- After a few months in the company, the crew member can access paid time off. It will grow over time.
- Chipotle crew members are eligible to receive a discount on food orders placed on their home locations.
- Holiday closures.
- Paid breaks.
- Flexible schedule according to the seniority of the employee.
- In some instances, additional benefit programs like tuition reimbursement may be available for certain degree programs.
- Great advancement opportunity: more than 80% of the managers started as crew members.
- You can also receive up to $5,250 from Chipotle in tuition assistance.
The job application process can take between 2 days and three weeks depending on what volume of people they have to hire and the number of candidates. If you do not receive a call or a positive answer on your first try, your information will be up in their system for a year. Usually, people that are already in the system have priority for a new job opening.
One tip for people interested in this position is to highlight their previous experience (if applicable) in customer service and teamwork, as these are the most important aspects of the job. You can present them even if they are not food industry related.
The Chipotle crew member position is responsible for a broad range of tasks in the restaurant. You may start your day operating the cash register and wrap it up in the kitchen area. The keys to success are the desire to work in a team environment and to stay focused on customers. If you want to find out more about crew member positions in your area, check out the Chipotle jobs page for additional information.