One of the most appealing positions to consider at Walmart is the assistant manager. There is a wide range of responsibilities. This position is best suited for candidates with some degree of retail management experience.
In this post, we are going to review the primary job duties on the Walmart assistant manager job description.
We will also address other factors such as the Walmart salary.
Walmart Assistant Manager Job Description & Duties: What Does a Walmart Assistant Manager Do?
An assistant manager works directly with the store manager. They help by taking on a part of the responsibilities.
A Walmart Assistant Manager’s main responsibility is to take the manager’s place in its absence. They must ensure that the store is managed properly. Responsibilities for this position range from associate development to resolving customer complaints.
Also, this position involves a lot of multitasking, attention to detail and good people management. We will be covering the primary duties and more in each of the following sections.
In their day to day work, they might encounter many unpleased or rude people. It is really important to manage them properly, so every complaint is solved.
Walmart Assistant Manager Job Responsibilities
Some of the responsibilities of the assistant managers at Walmart include:
- making deposits;
- addressing scheduling needs;
- ongoing coaching of the Associates.
In addition, this position also takes a proactive approach to ensuring a positive shopping experience for customers in the store.
The assistant manager should learn and grow alongside the team and the company.
The main job duties associated with this position include, but are not limited to:
- Completing deposits and ensuring cash shortages are documented.
- Assist and drive sales in the assigned store by ensuring the correct placement, pricing and merchandise presentation in the store.
- Monitors expenses and helps optimize them for better cash flow.
- The assistant manager must provide supervision and development opportunities for hourly Associates such as hiring, mentoring, evaluation, etc.
- Provides direction and tasks for hourly Associates.
- Address customer concerns quickly and efficiently.
- Operate cash registers when required to reduce customer wait times.
- Meet specific growth and sales goals as established by upper management.
- Work directly with loss prevention to help reduce shrink.
- Ensures compliance with Company policy for hourly Associates.
- Assist the store manager with specific tasks as directed.
Walmart Assistant Manager Working Hours
Working as an assistant manager at Walmart requires a commitment of at least 40 hours each week. Frequent overtime is commonly expected with this position.
In total, most assistant managers work anywhere from 45 to 50 hours each week. The schedule might have slight variations based on individual store volume.
Depending on the store assistant manager’s schedule will consist of alternating shifts, decided with the store manager when signing the contract.
Based on the location there can be three rotating shifts. Most common starting from 7 am to 5 pm, 8 am to 6 pm and 12 pm to 10 pm.
Other stores might prefer 1st or 2nd shift with 4 days on 3 days off.
Walmart Assistant Manager Work Environment
The work environment for assistant managers at Walmart is continuously evolving each day.
The majority of tasks associated with this position will require large amounts of time standing, as well as plenty of walking.
You should feel comfortable to interact with people regularly, both employees and customers.
It is common to lift merchandise weighing up to 30 pounds with this position. You may have to restock the merchandise during slow periods.
Walmart Assistant Manager Salary and Bonuses
The average starting pay for assistant managers at Walmart is around $40,000 each year. Salaries for assistant manager range between $14,000 and $131,000.
Most employees consider the pay is great and offers a lot of room for growth.
At Walmart the salary is based on:
- your experience;
- employment status of part-time or full-time;
- how many years you spend with the company and in the position.
The hourly rate for full-time employees at Walmart is $14.26 an hour as of March 2019, up from $14.08 reported in 2018.
This position is typically eligible for a wide range of performance-based bonuses:
- Health insurance;
- Paid time off;
- Quarterly bonuses;
- Special employee discounts;
- Store performance bonuses.
Walmart Assistant Manager Qualifications
Before applying to become a Walmart assistant manager, it’s important to find out whether or not you are qualified.
Although the qualifications may slightly vary from store-to-store, they will be very similar to what we have listed.
This comes directly from a job listing for an assistant manager at a specific Walmart location.
- 2 or more years of college;
- OR 1-year retail experience and 1-year supervisory experience;
- OR 2 years general work experience and 1-year supervisory experience;
- For facilities that sell firearms, you need to agree to a firearms-specific Criminal Background Check (CBC) and Firearms Authorization Training;
- Agree to successfully complete all job required training and assessments.
- Leading project workstreams;
- Supervising associates;
- Leadership and managing skills
Walmart assistant store manager top qualities
1. Leadership skills
The assistant manager will provide personal and professional development opportunities for hourly Associates.
2. Capacity to follow directions
Working with the middle and top management team at Walmart means you have to be flexible and follow the directions provided.
Additionally, you will have to delegate tasks among your team.
We consider this almost a no brainer.
You must have a good understanding of the business and the products. You might face a difficult situation and you must be prepared to handle it.
Also, you will be responsible to represent the company in front of the customers.
4. Decision making
There is a possibility to take over the manager responsibilities if your superior is sick or has other urgent priorities.
This type of situation requires people capable of making quick decisions.
If you have gone to college or you have supervisory experience, you are qualified to become a Walmart store assistant manager.
Working for Walmart
It’s important to see what it is like to work for Walmart. Whether you become an assistant manager or end up in a different position, you have to understand how the company works.
Opportunity and Advancement
Walmart believes that you will go as far as your hard work and talent will take you. As long as you work hard and prove yourself, you have the opportunity to continue advancing within the company.
Walmart has what is called Walmart Academies, which is an immersive training program tied to a working supercenter. This allows associates to gain both sales floor training and training in a classroom setting.
They will learn leadership skills, advanced retail skills, and more. Walmart employees that want to advance in their career are encouraged to take part in these training programs.
A newer type of training that Walmart offers is through Virtual Reality.
Walmart sent more than 15,000 VR sets to all of its stores in 2018. Now, associates have the opportunity to complete training through them.
For Walmart Academies, they created a video game called Spark City. It allows someone to play as a department manager in the game.
Associates are able to learn techniques that they can apply to real-life on the store level. The app is actually available for free through the App Store and Google Play.
Walmart also has backed-up statistics proving that they have many opportunities for advancement for anyone working within the company. These include:
- Over 75% of Walmart salaried store management began their careers with Walmart as hourly associates.
- In the fiscal year 2019, Walmart promoted over 215,000 people to higher-paying jobs with increased responsibilities.
- Both full-time and part-time associates are eligible for quarterly bonuses (based on the store).
- Store managers earn, on average, $175,000 annually and mentor over 300 associates
- Nearly 175,000 associates were promoted from part-time to full-time in the fiscal year 2019.
- Also, in the fiscal year 2019, hourly associates earned close to $800 million in bonuses.
Walmart also offers opportunities for education outside of the workplace for its employees. They partner with Guild Education to run their Live Better U program. This program gives their associates the opportunity to earn a degree for just $1 per day.
Walmart will cover all other costs.
Furthermore, employees are also able to receive college credit from the Walmart Academies program.
Additionally, Walmart offers education benefits for GED attainment, high school completion, language training, the college started, and technology certificates.
Walmart offers good benefits to its qualifying employees. They have some of the best benefits in the retail industry.
We’ll fully go through all the benefits offered, but just remember that these are only for qualifying employees. You may not receive every single benefit that we list.
Health & Personal Benefits
- Medical plans start around $28 per pay period.
- Dental and vision plans for employees and dependents are provided.
- All eligible associates (both full-time and part-time) have affordable options for care
- Walmart’s Centers for Excellence program covers select procedures, replacement surgeries, transplants, and cancers at no cost to associates. Coverage is available for domestic partners.
- Health reimbursement plans provide $300 to $1,000.
- The health savings account plan gives up to a $700 match to help pay for expenses.
- Associates get free access to nurse care managers and health care advisors.
- Associates are able to take advantage of Resources for Living, which is Walmart’s free and confidential counseling and health information service.
- Additional options: tuition is reimbursed.
- Additional options:
- company-paid life insurance;
- accidental death and dismemberment insurance;
- critical illness insurance;
- short and long term disability insurance;
- business travel accident insurance.
Financial Benefits and Paid Time Off
- Associates are able to participate in the associate stock purchase plan with a company match.
- Associates can contribute to their 401(k) starting on their first day. Walmart gives up to a 6% match after a year of working with them.
- The Associate Discount Center gives exclusive discounts on travel, cell phone plans, entertainment, and other goods/service.
- The associate discount card gives a 10% discount on fresh fruits, vegetables, and regularly priced general merchandise.
- In 2019, Walmart became one of the first retailers to offer 48 hours of Protected PTO for all field hourly associates.
Family Leave Benefits
Walmart offers maternity, parental, and adoption benefits to all salaried and full-time hourly associates. The only requirement is that they must have worked at Walmart for over a year.
- Birth mothers can take up to 10 weeks of protected paid maternity leave.
- Will receive 100% of their pay, based on average weekly wages.
- Can use the new parental benefit for an additional six weeks, making total paid time off 16 weeks.
- It’s available for new legal parents, guardians, and foster parents.
- It can take up to six weeks of protected paid parental leave.
- Associate’s time away must be continuous, taken all at once.
- Parental leave can be used within 12 months that they become parents
- If the employee’s spouse or dependant has a medical condition they can use the two weeks family care pay program.
- Associates will receive 100% of their pay.
- Pays associates back, up to $5,000, for expenses related to adopting a new family member.
- Annual maximum of $10,000 and a lifetime maximum of $20,000 per associate.
- Qualified expenses include (but are not limited to):
- Application fees, agency fees, placement fees, legal fees, court costs;
- Home suitability studies;
- Immigration, immunization, and translation fees;
- Transportation, meals, lodging;
- Parent, child, and adoption counseling;
Walmart Assistant Manager FAQ
1. How long does the hiring process take?
Usually, the hiring process takes between one business day up to two weeks. The person interested in this position will have a job interview with an HR responsible and someone from top management.
If accepted you will undergo a background check, that can take up to two weeks. If you are not selected for an interview, the resume will remain in their system. They keep the resume up to 60 days for further opportunities.
2. Why work at Walmart?
The assistant manager position at Walmart is a great opportunity for growth. People in the assistant store manager position are usually groomed for a management position.
The brand offers many perks and benefits for every employee and their families.
3. How is the work environment at Walmart?
There are good and bad aspects for every job, and working for Walmart is no different. Walmart wants to deliver superior customer service.
Walmart values and encourages work-life balance.
There are a lot of opportunities to grow and they encourage their employees to take part in the programs offered.
There is a work hard culture, based especially on teamwork so the task can get completed as fast as possible.
As a matter of fact, some people may perceive the work environment as stressful because everything is a fast-paced environment.
4. Is the assistant store manager receives weekly or biweekly pay?
The salary at Walmart is paid biweekly. Also, they have a new system where you can cash out half of the money made in a pay period.
Our Final Thoughts on Becoming a Walmart Assistant Manager
Being an assistant manager at Walmart requires a high degree of multitasking skills. In conclusion, you will be expected to handle a wide range of functions for both your employees and customers shopping at the store.
For more about these types of openings, consider checking out the Walmart employment portal for opportunities in your area.